Magazines & Databases
Your library provides you with access to thousands of magazines, journals, and newspapers -- that's literally millions of articles. Browse online resources by topic or use the "all-in-one" search on the right. Need more help? Check out this PDF for more search tips.
MAGAZINES & NEWSPAPERS
- Popular Magazines
- Search for and read articles online from magazines like Time, National Geographic, The New Yorker, Newsweek, Vanity Fair, US News and World Report, Vogue, Fortune, Business Week, National Review, Cosmopolitan, and archived articles from NPR Special Coverage.
- InfoTrac Newsstand
- You can search newspaper articles instantly by title, headline, date, or newspaper section -- one-stop source for the day's news and searchable archives. You can customize your online newspaper features by selecting your own screen appearance, search options and results format -- all covering a collection of more than 1,000 newspapers with more popular titles going back to 1980.
- The Oregonian via OregonLive.com
- Oregon news from The Oregonian's website. Everything from late-breaking news to articles going back five years -- your primary news source for local news in Oregon.
- Oregon Local Newspapers
- Links to local newspapers throughout Oregon, from Albany's Democrat Herald to Woodburn's Independent.
- InfoTrac General OneFile [search tips (pdf)]
- Start here for your search on general topics with this collection of over 6,500 publications with full-text articles, over 124,000 NPR audio files complete with broadcast transcripts, all the Fodor’s travel guides from 2006 and 2007, links to over 5,000 video files including shows like the Today Show, NBC Nightly News, NRO TV and Meet the Press and over 3,000 other magazines.
- [See special topics below for additional, subject-specific resources.]
- Virtual Reference Library
- Here is a collection of encyclopedias and specialized reference sources for multidisciplinary research. These reference materials once were accessible only in the library, but now you can access them online from the library or remotely 24/7. Because each library creates its own eBook collection, the content you see may vary if you use the database at different libraries (your school, your public library, or your office).
- Una colección de revistas hispánicas con textos completos. Abarca negocios, salud, tecnología, cultura, temas de actualidad y otras materias.
- Hundreds of periodicals and journals, including Latin American Research Review, NACLA Report on the Americas, La Opinión, National Geographic en Español, Epoca and many others This online collection also includs more than 15 key Latin American newspapers with detailed coverage of news, politics, current events, culture, entertainment, health, literature, science and more.
For Students & Kids
For College and College-bound Students
- Academic OneFile
- This online resource is the premier source for peer-reviewed, full-text articles from the world's leading journals and reference sources. With extensive coverage of the physical sciences, technology, medicine, social sciences, the arts, theology, literature and other subjects, this collection is both authoritative and comprehensive. With millions of articles available in both PDF and HTML full-text with no restrictions, researchers are able to find accurate information quickly. Includes full-text coverage of the New York Times back to 1995. Updated daily.
[See special topics below for additional, subject-specific resources.]
- Opposing Viewpoints in Context
- The one-stop source for information on today's hottest social issues. Appropriate for college, high-school, and middle-school students, this resource draws on acclaimed series published by Greenhaven Press and other Gale imprints, OVIC features viewpoint articles, topic overviews, full-text magazine, academic journal, and newspaper articles, primary source documents, statistics, images and podcasts, and links to Websites. New to the database are Lexile reading levels for periodicals and an integrated national and state curriculum standards search with content correlated to the standards.
- InfoTrac Student Edition (High School)
- Now with over 1100 titles this online collection is designed for high-school students with access to a variety of indexed and full-text magazines, newspapers, podcasts, and reference books for information on current events, the arts, science, popular culture, health, people, government, history, sports and more.
- Discovering Collection (High School)
- Thousands of overview essays, critical analyses, biographies, primary sources, creative works and multimedia elements are included in this online reference resource. The intuitive interface and easy-to-navigate functionality make it effortless for students to research papers and class assignments in five core subject areas: history, literature, biography, science and social studies.
- Student Resources in Context (High School and Middle School)
- This online resource provides a premium selection of reference material with more than 1,100 full-text periodicals and newspapers, primary sources, creative works, and multimedia and includes hours of video and audio clips and podcasts.
- U.S. History in Context (High & Middle School)
- More than 185,000 reference articles and over 600,000 periodical articles from magazines like Newsweek, American Heritage, and The Historian; galleries with over 73,000 images and 1,500 seals, maps, and flags; more than 9,100 veiwpoint essays and nearly 5,000 primary documents; and videos and audio from NBC, NPR and other reliable sources.
- InfoTrac Junior Edition (Middle School)
- Now with over 330 titles this online collection of periodicals is designed for students in junior high and middle school with access to a variety of indexed and full-text magazines, newspapers and reference books for information on current events, the arts, science, popular culture, health, people, government history, sports and more.
- Junior Reference Collection (Middle School)
- Covering subjects such as history, literature, science, social studies, and more, this collection of reference, primary sources, and multimedia content includes audio and video clips and more than 7,400 photographs. New to this service is the popular topic picklists.
- Kids InfoBits (K-5)
- This portal has been developed especially for beginning researchers in Kindergarten through Grade 5 and covers geography, current events, the arts, science, health, people, government, history, sports and more.
- Small Business Resource Center
- Search this online resource to learn how to start, finance or manage your small business. Resources include sample business plans, how to guides, articles and websites.
- Business & Company Resource Center
- This collection of online resources brings together a wide variety of global business information, enabling users to efficiently research business case studies, competitive intelligence, and career and investment opportunities. It provides company profiles, brand information, rankings, investment reports, company histories, chronologies and periodicals. Search this collection to find detailed company and industry news and information.
- General BusinessFile ASAP
- Here is every type of information you need for truly comprehensive business research: full-text journals, investment reports, directory listings and newswire releases, as well as indexing of three national newspapers. You can tap into more of the world’s leading business, industry, management, economics, investment and company information, from a greater variety of sources than they’ll find in any competing database.
- Business Economics and Theory
- This online collection provides academic journals and magazines focusing on theoretical topics in economics. Perfect for business classes, users will find more than 150 full-text journals to support their research.
- Health & Wellness Resource Center with Alternative Health Module
- This online collection compiles medical reference information for all levels of health research. It includes information from nearly 400 health/medical journals, hundreds of pamphlets, over 700 health-related videos, over 2,200 general interest publications, and many health reference titles. It also incorporates articles on alternative topics such as herbal remedies, yoga, homeopathy, midwifery, and chiropractic. Material contained in this collection is intended for informational purposes only.
- Health Reference Center Academic
- This collection provides access to 40 full-text nursing and allied health journals, plus the wide variety of personal health information sources. All in a single, easy-to-use online resource, this collection integrates the full-text and images of respected nursing, allied health and medical journals; consumer health magazines; newsletters; pamphlets; newspaper articles; topical overviews; and reference books.
- Nursing Resource Center
- Designed for nursing students, this online resource brings together disease and drug overviews, care plans, relevant journal results and animated anatomy and physiology diagrams to complement the core encyclopedia texts. The information is written in accessible language for students completing class assignments and preparing for clinicals as they learn how to care for and treat patients. Search results are even returned in tabs that correspond to steps in the nursing process.
- Nursing and Allied Health Collection
- All aspects of the Nursing profession -- from direct patient care to health care administration -- are covered in this collection. Including nearly 400 titles, this collection's current and authoritative content will be of use to both professionals already working in the field as well as students pursuing a nursing-focused curriculum.
- Psychology Collection
- This set explores what makes people "tick" from childhood to death. This collection gives individuals a basic understanding of the study of the mind, emotions and how the human mind develops -- and diminishes -- over time. You have instant access to 200 subject-appropriate full-text periodicals through this online resource.
- Agriculture Collection
- With broad coverage of agriculture and its related fields, this collection provides a comprehensive view of this growing body of knowledge. Comprised of nearly 200 titles, researchers will have access to current and authoritative content that spans the industry -- from practical aspects of farming to cutting edge scientific research in horticulture.
- Communications and Mass Media Collection
- From marketing professionals to students studying for advanced degrees in linguistic theory, this collection provides current and accurate information from more than 100 journals focused on all aspects of the communications field. Key subjects covered include: advertising and public relations, literature and writing, linguistics, and many more.
- Computers and Technology
- Use this collection to find computer-related product introductions, news and reviews in areas such as hardware, software, electronics, engineering, communications and the application of technology.
- Criminal Justice Collection
- Whether studying to become a lawyer or law enforcement officer, paralegal, or for a career in Homeland Security, this collection rises to the challenge. Users will have access to 150 journals.
- Culinary Arts Collection
- The Culinary Arts collection includes 150 of the major cooking and nutrition magazines. Coverage includes thousands of searchable recipes, restaurant reviews, and industry information.
- Educator's Reference Complete
- This collection of more than 1,100 periodicals and 200 reports is a great resource for any educator -- from the school teacher and administrator to those studying in the field at the collegiate and graduate level. Educator's Reference Complete is the perfect complement for any library that utilizes the ERIC database, because it provides full-text results for nearly half of the journal titles found in ERIC. This database covers multiple levels of education from preschool to college, and every educational specialty -- such as technology, bilingual education, health education, and testing. This collection also covers issues in administration, funding and policy.
- Environmental Studies and Policy Collection
- Providing robust coverage of the field of environmental issues and policy, this collection, which includes nearly 200 journals, provides instant access to the multiple viewpoints of this volatile field of study, including perspectives from the scientific community, governmental policy makers, as well as corporate interests.
- Fine Arts and Music Collection
- With more than 100 full-text magazines and journals covered in this online resource (such as the Wilson Art Index and RILM), this collection will provide you with resources to support research in areas such as drama, music, art history, and filmmaking.
- Gardening, Landscape and Horticulture Collection
- Farmers, landscape architects, and biotechnologists alike will have their information appetites sated with this collection of nearly 50 journals focused specifically on key issues in gardening, landscaping, and other areas of horticulture. A fertile and growing collection, this collection includes content relating to both the practical aspects as well as the scientific theory of horticulture studies.
- GREENR (Global Reference on the Environment, Energy, and Natural Resources)
- This resource offers authoritative content on the development of emerging green technologies and discusses issues on the environment, sustainability and more. contains maps, multimedia, case studies and other resources focusing on the academic study of sustainability and the environment. It's a one-stop resource dedicated to studying sustainability and the environment.
- Home Improvement Collection
- Even the smallest home improvement project can be daunting: with this collection of nearly 100 home improvement focused titles, hobbyists and professional carpenters alike will immediately put their projects on a more solid foundation. Coverage includes such topics as architectural techniques, tool and material selection, zoning requirements, and many more.
- Hospitality, Tourism and Leisure Collection
- With current and relevant content from over 500 industry journals, this collection provides well-rounded coverage of both the historical and current state of affairs in the hospitality and tourism field, while also allowing for focused study of specialized aspects of the industry - including cultural aspects of travel, leisure activities, economic aspects of tourism, and more.
- Students, law school faculty and legal researchers will all find the legal publications they need in this collection. Drawing on a wide variety of the most highly regarded legal publications, this online resource provides indexing for more than 1,400 titles including major law reviews, legal newspapers, bar association journals and international legal journals. Each title is selected on the basis of criteria provided by a special advisory committee of the American Association of Law Libraries. Also included are law-related articles from over 1,000 additional business and general interest titles.